Increase the living space in your house by adding a beautiful deck, attached to the back or side of your house. It will have the most impact if it is built in a style similar to the architecture and/or interior design of your home. Here are a few ideas to incorporate into your deck. Be sure to personalize them for maximum beauty and impact.
- For a dramatic entrance from your yard onto your deck and vice versa, consider installing stairs that begin at the corner of your deck and radiate out along both sides of the corner. These are often called cascading stairs, wrap-around stringer stairs, or just plain wrap-around stairs.
- It’s literally two sets of stairs connected by a mitered corner. Often made of stone or concrete as an entrance to a public building, homeowners have them made of wood to match or coordinate with the deck.
- An added benefit is they can be used for extra seating, especially for children. Kids seem to love sitting and playing on this type of stairway.
- Add a vertical element to your deck in the form of an open, airy garden structure such as a trellis, arbor or pergola. Often used interchangeably, a trellis or arbor is merely a horizontal topper fastened to posts. A pergola is more of a “room” as it usually has some type of structure to it that is suggestive of walls that are there but not there. Think walls made of lattice.
- A garden structure fastened to your deck will create shade and a mini room within your larger deck. Strung with tiny lights, it creates a “ceiling” for a separate, definable space ideal for your outdoor dining table.
- You can soften the appearance of the structure by planting vines to climb upon it.
- For nighttime beauty, add some type of a fire receptacle to your deck. Don’t put the fire in your yard, put it right on the deck where everyone hangs out. Choose from a chiminea, a fire pit or a fire table.
A chiminea is a hollow, pear-shaped container made of clay with chimney and a hole in the side to build and tend the fire. It is often mounted on legs to keep the heat off the surface of the deck. A fire pit can be installed on your wooden deck as long as it is built upon a fire-proof foundation. A fire table is a large table with a pit in the center in which to build a fire. They are usually made of decorative stone. Fire tables can also be powered by natural gas.
Innovative deck and patio designs usually include some type of water feature. How about a hot tub? If that’s not your style, try some type of fountain. The gentle gurgling of water will add beautiful sound to the atmosphere of your deck.